The Department of Economics and Business of University of Catania proposes a four-year PhD programme in Economics, Management and Decision Making which aims to be a point of reference, with international appeal for postgraduate training in the disciplines of economics and business, attracting participants with a high motivation for theoretical and applied research.
The main (but not necessarily exclusive) themes of the PhD programme are:
- innovation and sustainability;
- institutions, markets and economic development;
- decision analysis, decision theory and data science.
Three PhD scholarships will be funded by the Italian National Recovery and Resilience Plan for research on the following themes:
- The economic, quantitative and business analysis of managerial skills in public administration (PA) with reference to their measurement, the study of differences in managerial capital along geographical and functional dimensions of PA, and the quantitative counterfactual evaluation of policies aimed at increasing efficiency and managerial skills in PA.
- The study of the interaction between public administration and digital citizenship and the evaluation of policies and interventions aimed at increasing the use of digital public services and their effects on measures of social cohesion and cultural participation.
- The analysis of the role of public administration in the definition of public policies aimed at reducing territorial gaps between the centre and the periphery and between Southern and Northern Italy, addressing measurement, evaluation and planning issues from a historical, economic and business perspective.
In order to stimulate and enhance the multidisciplinary approach to scientific research, the specialized courses provided at Department of Economics and Business will have an expressly interdisciplinary slant, including the profiles of the legal regulation and the regulatory foundations of the institutions.
By means of agreements with other foreign universities and visiting programmes, PhD students will be required to spend at least one academic year at an internationally renowned university abroad (in the second or third year of their training).
The call for applications is now open.
The applications must be submitted following the indication available at the following websites:
The deadline for application is August 3rd, 2022 at 16:00 (Italian time).
For further information about the application procedure, you can contact the Doctorate tutors .